Sunday, September 23, 2007

Belated race report

I think I have been distracted by work, travels and going out justa little!! I did however, complete the Chicago Half Marathon. Net time was 2.26 which is ok, I was aiming for 2.20 so was a bit disappointed but a bathroom break and losing my pacer, combined with no garmin meant the second half I was all over the shop!

I wore my new Striders top which I must say is a great running top. Very comfortable and the built in bra has heaps of support - well done Striders! I also wore my CR cap and for once I think I was the only one wearing one :)

The day previous, I bought a running bottle belt which proved fantastic, half gatorade and half water came in very handy between drink stops. As I said, I started with the 2.20 pacing group, I was never out to break records just to enjoy it. I was feeling great at 11km but had to stop to go to the bathroom. Well as with most large runs, the lines for the portaloos were enormous, I waited for about 5 mins by which time my pacing group was well out of sight.

I proceeded to try and pace myself and tried to pick up the pace a bit to try and catch the group. There were soooo many people throughotu the whole course though, I couldn't see the pacer for the life of me. Maybe if i was a bit taller I may have seen the sign, but c'est la vie. I also hadn't quite converted it right as when I saw the 12 mile sign, I thought I had 2 more to go, I think I only had one more though as it finished very quick!!

I had the best time, I bought a mug and a cap as souveniers and I think I will also buy my photos from the photography site.

I have been running and riding a lot at the gym, I think I need a good stretch as my knee is a bit sore but I think it is coming from a tight quad - hmmm.

I also need to get some swimming in as 3 days after we arrive back from Europe, we are doing our first tri of the season - yay!! Ian is doing it too, and hopefully all the kids too. It is a hills Tri Club tri and the one we went in last year was fantastic. The kids loved it and so did we! This is Ian's first one so it is kind of a big deal :) It is on the same day a Central Coast though which is sad, I will miss the dinner and the breakfast we shared with all the other cool runners last year!! Won't necessarily miss the run though - hahahaha.

Ian is doing the Sydney half this morning, I am waiting impatiently for his call to let me know how he did. I am very excited for him, though not sad I am not doing it. I did it last year and I did not enjoy it at all, of all the places you can run in Sydney with beautiful views, 80% of the run is on the city west link! I don't understand that at all...

On a personal note, I am planning the Italian leg of our trip which is pretty exciting. We will probably do Florence, Venice and a trip to Rome. Sooo excited!!

2 comments:

TA and the Gnome said...

Hi, I'm impressed they have 2.20 pacers! Sounds like you still enjoyed the race despite getting a bit time lost. Caught up with Ian today at half and he behaved himself nicely :-). have a great trip away together.
Bru and I are doing Italy for our 50ths.
TA

Jen said...

Hi Mouse. So good to hear an update from you.

Good on you for keeping CR alive & well in downtown Chicago !

I'm glad to hear that things are still going well for you over there. How long until you head to Europe? I'm certain you will have a wonderful time.

J x