Monday, June 25, 2007

4 weeks out...(ntr)

well its four weeks out from my next target race - the cities marathon! I have no doubt i can propel myself 42.2km, but need to get in a solid high 30'skm run this weekend to gauge my ability to do it in a pace I'd be really happy with.

Having joined strider's, i decided to give their group runs a "run" for the last two weeks. Two weeks, two different locations, and two totally different experiences! The first week was a 30km around Drummoyne - over iron cove and gladeseville bridge, and back around to the swimming pool. This was done with the 6am group, a constant group of about 10, at a steady pace, with water breaks along the way. CR PaulC was in this group, so it was good to meet him ( he is a fellow Cities contender!! ) I finished in about 2:40mins - i really good time for me. Yesterday, it was a run from Lane Cove NP, up and around Mowbray Rd, around Willoughby and back via Pymble to the start. The 6am group was actually a different group this time, very supportive but a tad slower, and they were doing the shorter run. Instead i did the longer version ( from 15km onwards ) essentially alone, (minus about 10mins with a Wayne, a long term strider! ) . I was wet, cold, a little lost at times, and flat. I stopped for a Mars Bar ( dripping a few litres into the shop at 7:30am!) and pushed on and finished 31km in 3:28mins. A pretty slow time, mostly done alone. I know it was a quickly organised run instead of no run, but i was bit confused all the same!! Mind you, the last 7 km or so ( from Pymble ) was great - mist in the air, running through the NP on tracks - that made up for the km's of rolling hills next to the railway line!

I am definitely back on the M7 for the remainder of the training though....shame i missed quite a few M7'ers last weekend who did runs...i really think it was my loss this weekend :-(


Other training...8km done in 39:38 at Parra Park ( my fastest time recorded by them!! ) in a handicap event on Friday, and a relaxed 8km on a cold night, to drop off a way over due DVD ??!!

Also, Mouse and I went to SMC Presentation dinner. We both got bling!!!! Rach won the 10km series for her age group!! I got a commentarative award for my Maiden Marathon at the Gold Coast in 06. It was a nice relaxed night, celebrating community running.I was glad to volunteer to join the committee and will most likely be the webmaster for their site. Its been ages since i have done actual web work, but i am sure I'll be fine - hey - i can blog and post on coolrunning! ( ...and the secret weapon....mouse - she's real clever on 'puters...and i have some smart tech guys working for me!! "yes, of course posting the race results is work related!!! )

Kids are away next week for the holidays...i think i will run to work a few times ( 18km ) and get in some solid cities training.....we'll see!!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Wow. Gotta love bling! Congrats to both of you!

Say hi to the kids for me!

TA and the Gnome said...

Those rolling hills along the railway line are tough enough when you have company - I wouldn't be too keen on running them by myself! That was my 2nd last long run before Canberra last year, so I hope it holds you in as good stead as it did me. :-)

Gnome