Sunday, April 29, 2007

a day in the county ( ntr)

I did the Bathurst Half Marathon today - a really good event, great scenery - a local event like the Lindfield Fun Run etc.

A good day - finished the run feeling good in 1:52:xx, and am happy with that. Asthma got me right at the start, so i discarded my 1:45 aim pretty early on. My right arm/shoulder was sore about half way into it, and i stopped to stretch it - maybe just from sleeping wrong...who knows? I also felt dehydrated today - there were 3 drink stations, and i had 2 cups at each. At SMC, i normally have 1-2 drinks at 7 stations, so thats a big difference i think. I guzzled a few glasses of water at Lindsays at lunch time..wonder why?

The course was mainly flat, as advertised, but i know a hill when I run a hill, and there were a few out there! One even had a sign "crest" at the top, so i know for a fact it was hill. You cant fool me. However, we drove along the same road on the way to lunch, and the hills were a bit flatter this time - hmmmm.

Mouse and I saw BennyR and Des, and their new baby John. He is so tiny and fragile! And apparently noisy and restless at night - des and bennyr both sounded desperate for a good nights rest! Benny cracked his 1:50 goal with a 1:49:xx finish - he was stoked, and mouse and I were so pleased for him!! He truly deserved that!

We also met Keg and his wife and baby - i am really enjoying the social side of running and CR now - it is making it enjoyable before, during and after each event! I am kicking myself for forgetting my camera...arrgghh...it would have been good to get some happy snaps today.

I plan to go for a run tomorrow night - i miss the night time jogs with music as my company, it feels like ages since i did that!

2 comments:

thomo said...

I posted this on CoolRunning,

You probaly saw it andsaid best ignore him he might go away.

N_T_R come on you did well. You are on schedule for sub 4hr marathon. Take the positives out of the run.

Remember you can talk with the ultra athletes, you can listen to the ultra athletes, you can enjoy their tales. BUT you don't have to do what the extreme end of the scale does!!!!

You have ran a marathon, next week you ran a half marathon then the next week you run this half marathon.

Are you going to run a half next week? (You could do Striders 10km in morning and NSW Road Champs in arvo!) You can the do Canbera Half the following week then SMH half the next week, the week after SMC 25km.

This would just about cook your goose.

Chill and take time to recover. Gentle running next couple of weeks, longer if still feeling not 100%. (Mouse give him an uppercut (verbal or otherwise) if he doesn't listen).

You will freshen up and reach your 2007 goals with ease.

Mouse_and_NTR said...

thanks thomo for the advice - i am just plodding along, and seen to need a constant goal for motivation! Mouse knows i certainly don't overdo anything in running!! Thanks for the perspective - it has been a busy month :-) See you at SMC soon. ntr