Saturday, August 18, 2007

Burgers, baseball and beer

(Warning - this one is a little depressing!!)

Well the heading pretty much sums up America!! Lots of junk food and lots of cheap beer and by cheap I mean $1 beers in the pubs - it is crazy. Then lots of TVs also in the pubs on which people watch the baseball while eating their burgers and drinking their beer.

If only these people played it a little themselves instead of only watching it, strange concept I know - exercise!!

I have been going to the gym every day - doing a combination of running, walking, cross training, weights and core work which has been great. I have not been for a long run for ages though, or a long swim - I am hanging to do both!!

Work wise it is pretty standard, exactly what I do in Sydney which is nice, at least I am not out of my comfort zone too much. The traffic in this city if unbelievable, every morning it takes me over an hour to get to work - a trip that should take 20mins!! Lucky I now have a GPS in my rental car, though I am not sure I trust her, she has been giving me some weird directions. And it is a Garmin!! Too big to take for runs but nice to know all the same - haha. We will need her tomorrow though, we are travelling to Aurora to go to the outlet malls there, I am cashed up and ready to splurge.

Onto the sad stuff.... I am quite homesick at the moment, even going out is depressing when I get home to an empty apartment.... Trying to find healthy ways to keep myself amused though which for the moment is working (kind of - deep breath).

I really miss having Ian there when I get home from work, I miss him making me laugh, I miss his cooking, I miss the kids making me smile, (I even miss the kids making me scream!) and most of all I miss cuddling up to him - sleeping without him next to me just doesn't feel right. Anyhoo, I am getting all teary now so I better go and find something to do, work maybe - yeah probably should do some seeing I have not done much today!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

(((((((((Mouse))))))))))))
I hope you found something nice to do for yourself.

TA and the Gnome said...

Rach, there's nothing more empty than a hotel bed when you're travelling on business. Send lots of X-rated emails (and pray the kids don't know the password!) and work hard and the time will pass.

I recall that the hardest thing that I did in a gym in the US was trying to convert everything from kg to lbs. To this day I don't know if I was lifting too little or too much and I have no idea what speed the treadmill was running :-)

Hang in there. Visit some good museums (and malls if you must) and it won't be long.

Gnome