Sunday, March 4, 2007

Hot, Hot Hot!!!

Unfortunately I am not talking about me looking good... The last summer sprint triathlon was yesterday evening out at Penrith and the heat was punishing to say the least. Not the best day to decide to step up to the sprint!! I think it was 38 degrees at 4pm so it was close to that as we started at 5pm. Whatever temperature it was, it was nasty.

The swim was great, I loved it and loved it even more when I caught the guys in the wave before mine! I knew I had a few minutes up my sleeve but I also knew the bike leg would kill me - I have only just started riding... Oh why can't I find a triathlon with more swim legs??? ;-)

The bike leg was tough and I was soooo thirsty. I am not that confident on my bike yet so a) getting drink bottle out, b) having drink and c) putting said drink bottle back in the holder was a process that took some time, effort and a lot of profanities. Needless to say, very little of said water bottle was consumed.... Lucky I had my fuel belt ready with diulted powerade for the run!!

The run was horrible, I jogged about 1km then had to walk - it was that or spew and I chose the former. I kept up the walk/jog/almost spew for a while and chatted to those around me doing the same. Those of us at the back all kind of finished together and by the way whose stupid idea was it to put the finish line at the top of the grassy hill?????

My training buddy Bec ended up winning our division, great work chicky!! Not bad for a girl who trains sporadically at best - oh to be one the naturally gifted few! Well I may not be gifted but I am determined, I have just entered next week's round 4 at Kurnell (what was I thinking?).

Anyone know a good psychiatrist? I think I have gone mental.....

2 comments:

Jen said...

That was me cheering with Ellie on Saturday Mouse.

It was soooo hot out there - your walk/run/not spew plan was a good choice! Congratulations!

Ellie80 said...

yep congrats mate - it was a rough day to be out there - but you did great!