Tuesday, March 20, 2007

success at the dinky derby

Sunday i had a run at SMC - 30km - and i felt great for all of it! Managed to finish it 2:40. So thats 5:20pace, 20 secs faster then i need for Canberra. I am totally wrapped with that. Ran 21km of it with Rags, until he kicked it up a gear for the last 9km! I had my ipod shuffle with me, and listened to covers of Kev Carmody and James Brown to keep me company for the remaining time. I kept doing my straight arms when running down hills - i bet i look stupid, but my stride opens up, i pick up speed, and use it to recover after the hills. I feel like Mr Squiggle bouncing around....( this tip was given to me by "Mike the Marathon Marvel" - a runner at SMC who has done dozens ( maybe over 100 ) marathons - i ran with him twice this yeark, and i really appreciated his help and advice on a training plan for Canberra.

The kids ( and / including Mouse?? :-) ) did triathalons on Sunday afternoon - it was so cool to watch. Rachel did really well in her enticer, and 2 kids did the "weet-bix" distance ( 100mtr, 5km, 1km ) and 1 did the "dinky derby" - ( 20mtrs,200mtr,200mtrs ). It was so great to see them all do it. When i told them about it on Sunday lunchtime, the eldest kept saying " i am up for it the challenge, I am so up for it!! " I was so worried about them drowning, falling off their bike, rolling ankles, getting sweaty, feeling challenged....( yes i am protective! ) and so on - but they gave me a reminder that they are all growing up. They are still sporting the faded triathlon tattoo - numbers written on the arm in texta!! I'm so proud of them!

1 comment:

Jen said...

You two are far too young to have 3 kids :-)

What a fantastic photo - you should be very proud. You & Mouse are setting a wonderful example to them :-)